Thursday, June 13, 2013

The history of my Tilt Smile

As promised, here's how my tilt smile came about.

There are other variations of this smile - it can be called the "commercial smile", the "cheer smile" or the "eksenadora smile". This is my own take on it. I have no copyright claim on it. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead,is purely coincidental. Chos!

In case you don't know what my tilt smile is, it's a half open smile with your head tilting on either left or right on the count of three. It depends on the situation. Usually, I do tilt smiles using the front camera of my iPod touch; now I'm using my SLR camera. The people doing tilt smiles with me are often called "victims" and I usually approach them.




It was actually New Year's Eve (hours before 2013) when my cousin and I started experimenting some poses. It started with a simple cheer face. We had several shots with that face. Hours later during our New Year's Eve party, we did variations of the cheer face, one of which eventually became my tilt smile. I've baptized the tilt smile as my "Pose of the Year", and eventually my paandar!

An early version of my tilt smile - with my sister and my cousins

The influences of the tilt smile are:

The cheer face by Gabrielle Union in Bring It On

1. The cheer face - Nod + half open smile. I once cheered for my course in college and I've always been interested in cheerleading. I've also watched Bring It On lots of times, to the point that I memorized every single line in the movie.



2. Kris Aquino - I know this is kinda funny, but yes, Kris Aquino influenced my tilt smile. Why? I have noticed her mannerisms lately - Head snaps (head drastically switches from left to right or vice versa), head tilts, eyebrows raised, eyes wide open, and her smile. I read an article about her somewhere that when she smiles, she says "eight".



3. Miss Venezuela beauty queens - I love beauty pageants. Every time I watch a beauty pageant, I always watch out for Miss Venezuela.  Miss Venezuela's has this eksenadora attitude every time they pose. They usually do half open smiles as if they're partying. Very bakla, as most people would say.

Those were my influences. Oh di ba, ansabe lang? But in fairness, they're connected to my tilt smile. They're influences, duh. Hahaha! Anyway, here are some of the pictures of my tilt smile.


The first victims of my tilt smile - my college friends!

My French 2 class! From my classmates to my professor.

Most number of victims! With the CMS cheerleaders :)


A group shot during a game in the AXN University Challenge at our school


The tilt smile with Ms. Risa Hontiveros! I didn't know that she was game in doing this smile!

After Risa Hontiveros, I've also victimized bloggers. Click here for the pictures.

Future victims of the tilt smile: Anne Curtis, Georgina Wilson, Binibining Pilipinas Winners (Well, I got one out of five, but it would be nice if all five would do my smile.), RST (Venus Raj-Shamcey Supsup-Janine Tugonon), Ryzza Mae Dizon (That cute little girl! I want to do her look up and "bawal ang sad dapat happy" pose), Andrew Wolff, or any celebrity. I hope they're game for my tilt smile. #hoping #fingerscrossed #wishfulthinking

So there, that's how my tilt smile came about. If you feel like an uto-uto or gullible, don't be. I have no intention of making you feel like one. It's all pure fun. So the next time I approach you with my iPod touch or SLR, don't forget to do the tilt smile ON THREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment